See why I don't drink anymore?
Better than that, you know they say you mustn't drink and drive? Well I telling you you mustn't drink and discuss politics, and you must especially not with characters like 'Baldhead' 'Fatman' and crew as it just as dangerous. Look everyone knows I have an 'opinion' on the COP elections race so it was no surprise when I bounce up two 'real' UNC 'hitters' that i wasn't going to be allowed to leave jus' so' and who decided over beers and geera pork to set me straight, such being their contribution flowing freely in that infamous establishment, and the more the alcohol flowing, the greater your political 'airification.'
Walk into the wrong bar and you could find yourself changing plans in no time flat, and if any kind of elections in the air make sure your plans 'flexible' or your significant other tolerant. "Come nah man mister writerman, we hear yuh gone uperclass." The unavoidable invitation, coupled with the seat pulled out and set in your direction made it all but impossible to walk away. Even enemies greet you with welcoming smiles, such is the case in our politics. Rudder was right when he said how we vote is not how we party, or drink and lime for that matter.
Fatman, ever the boisterous contender opened the batting and offered tongue in cheekly with his broad trademark smile "so who you backing in the race for the corpse?" to which Baldhead started to kyah kyah in the bar and I knew that whatever I had stumbled upon, this had the makings of a long evening.
My position in the talk was simple, that I believed that the COP is the only non-racial Party, all inclusive yada, yada, yada, and that we needed a leader that could maintain something like why the Congress of the People was formed in the first place, an offering that was continuously interrupted by steups after steups after steups, a manistay in our version of the gentlemanly game.
My first lesson for the evening was in relation to how the UNC views the COP, or how Panday's rant in 2007 pretty much reflected that view that the UNC sees the COP as an indian 'spoiler' Party. I was told that it is the rank and file UNC view that now Panday gone the COP should end the pretense and just return to the fold as it were so that the UNC could properly beat the PNM and settle the score that Ramesh and Sudama cause. "Thas why Ramesh cyah win a bingo in this (UNC) Party again, yuh doh do dat!" The aside provided by Baldhead in support of his benefactor, and the 'dat' was punctuated front and back by spray that made me adjust my chosen seating position making Fatman smile.
"It's so far back this story have to go?" I asked imagining how drunk I could be by the time this discourse was ended, to which I was greeted with this:
"All yuh tong people tink all yuh understand dis ting, but what we telling you here is the real situation, and is your rounds so doh stick."
Baldhead always had a way with words, and while he was distracted proposing to a 'young' lady walking past our table who was noticeably missing a good few teeth I ordered another 'rounds.' Fatman dutifully returned us to the conversation asking me "So who is the real UNC man in this elections, Anil or Prakash?"
To which I asked what about De Lima and the other candidate, a question that brought my shiny headed friend away from his companion and who responded "Boy look nah, politics never so simple in here; De Lima doh matter in dis. Dat woman doh mater in dis. Even though is COP members voting bet your bottom dollar dis is a UNC election."
Leaning in to help myself to some pork on a toothpick I decided that listening made more sense than speaking now, so I kept my opinion and settled in for more.
"Anil is UNC because he is Warner's candidate for Warner. Warner looking to go old school and just buy up all three Parties, but Warner doh speak for the 'whole' UNC; the 'sugar cane' faction who cyah wait to see the back of he have their own plans and their man is Prakash; all that talk about the UNC wanting to 'end' the COP and bring all their members back home is not old talk, and that is what this elections is about; whicher side controlling the COP will control the UNC"
Could this be true? I mean I allude to interference and ulterior motives all the time, but could it be that the war for the COP's soul was really the battle for control of the UNC? Based on what was being said here, the Party was no longer interested in leaving it up to the members of the COP to decide who was their leader and were taking matters into their own hands.
While the barman was noisily clearing the table of the evidence of our political irrigation it gave me a couple minutes to try and digest this information; coupled with the spicy meat we were eating right through had yuh boy starting to feel 'queazy' and it was time for me to stop drinking and sober up as I had to drive.
Baldhead wasn't interested in letting anybody leave: "Boy yuh car safe here, barman bring drinks." But despite protestations based on my 'sorfness' i remained committed to my plastic bottle of water as my new beverage choice and chose to sit back and listen more as others had since joined our ranks.
The conversation was in full heat now and after sufficient time had passed, I decided to make my exit; the topics had since shifted to many other 'news' items, Warner's situation with FIFA, Warner and de bribe money, how come man 'burnin' dong' a setta woman just so now, and other items that was felt was worth ventilating. With baldhead distracted by his toothless Barbie I said my goodbyes, paid my bill (who was drinking Hennessy and Suppligen?) and was walking out the door when Fatman called out (almost cryptically with a serious face compared to the evening's festivities) "either way COP dead, this elections now is about who get to kill it, mark my words; tell dem Fatman tell you dat"
If you only knew who Fatman really was in daytime you would take this as serious as he said it. I need to remember why I don't go into bars at night; politics, drinking and me as a combination not friends at all.

Very amusing article, reminded me of B.C. Pires,let us hope that the COP prevails,and doesn't get sucked back into the UNC, because that is the only hope we have now. I am so fed up of T&T politics as it is now, every day I read the newspapers I get more and more depressed, that I think I will park up until I see something new coming over the horizon. Thank you for this and keep on writing.
ReplyDelete