Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pressure... (Seven Days on Queen Street...)

Seven days on Queen Street, talk about pressure, what i didn't see I didn't want to see yes.

"Boss we collecting for we church."

"Which church is that?"

"The church by we."

"Where is that?"

"Up on we side?"

"Is the church's name on the list?"

"No."

"Do you know the name of the church?"

"No."

"So how come you collecting for the church?"

"All right (familiar smile) is not for the church, but we collecting, we could get?"

Pressure...

"Hold Him Hold Him!"

Turning around in front the coffee shop "Hold who?"

A stampede of big people, some looking like police in the small alley way of one of these downtown malls, big fuss, plenty shouting "Doh let him get away, hold de son of a bitch!"

"You want a tray to carry your coffees?"

"What was that about?"

"Me eh know, he must be grab and run, people need to pay attention when they in town."

Pressure...

(Pulled aside) "I think you need to come and talk to this lady."

"Why?"

"Well she here with the other school teachers from Central to get clothes for the children and we putting it out, but it look like she packing she own bag for she self."

"Excuse me ma'am, the volunteers are supposed to do that, you want to give me that bag and wait in front?"

"Is just a little something I taking out for de children."

"Can I see what you have so far?" "Maybe I can help."

"Alright oh gosh (impish smile), I was just getting something for mih son while I was here."

"And thirty pairs of women's shoes is what he needs?"

Pressure...

(Overheard loud) "Miss yuh cyah empty out de bag right there..."

"Excuse me ma'am, what seems to be the problem?"

"You ent see what she pack for me?"

"Where the gummies and the shortpants she packing for them, like them is she friend. I doh want this."

"Ma'am you are going to have to wait outside."

Pressure...

(Loud argument) "I was cleaning upstairs and somebody throw away my shoes."

"How did they get your shoes, why weren't you wearing them?"

"Boss (whisper) them does come everyday with old clothes and throw it away and leave with new ones."

"Give him a pair of shoes and thank him for coming to volunteer. Let today be the last day."

"See how all yuh white people iz, fighting down black people, where mih shoes?"

Pressure...

"That is the same lady with the french accent."

(Heard behind me) "She here again? steups, that woman is a test oui."

(Store Manager) "Miss, we trying to give everybody some..."

"I only needed three more bags to finish my list..."

"How many bags did she get?"

"About thirty."

"Ma'am, please, you're going to have to wait outside.."

Pressure...

(Head of security) "This bag have to stay."

"buh thas for de football team..."

"yes but this is a bag of flippers, and unless they playing underwater, this bag not going anywhere"

Pressure...

6 comments:

  1. Phillip, you have all the material for one hell of a play. Congratulations on a job well done. GOD Bless you! Simone Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I did not donate . Trini people deserve to suffer .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on Nigel that is not nice @ some time @ anytime WE ALL could need help i hope the Gold spoon in your mouth is not a dipped.Phillip well said lol Laureen Butler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a great stuff.Thanks for sharing this post.The theme line of this post impress's me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nigel mahabir, what an enlightening comment. What nationality are you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there as a volunteer and it was pressure but I enjoyed every minute of it ...lol will do it all again in a heart beat.
    "IT IS IN GIVING WE RECEIVE".....

    Phillip I have an offer for you .... i"ll call next week ....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.