Monday, October 28, 2013
Unsung Hero of St. Joseph
On Sunday September 18th 2005 one of my letters to the Editor entitled “Homage to St Joseph’s Fidel Gonzalez” was published in one of the major dailies, and I would like to share that letter here to make a point:
Dear Editor,
I WOULD like to highlight the contributions of a good man who is no longer with us, someone very deserving of acknowledgement for his service to this country in the upliftment of St Joseph, first capital of T&T.
He is Fidel Gonzalez, recently deceased, gentleman, businessman, humanitarian.
To those who knew him well, he was a pillar of strength and courage in the face of adversity, ready to quip (sometimes in the corniest ways) at a moment’s notice, despite the health burden he bore gracefully to the end. To others, he was a source of knowledge and inspiration, a dedicated family man.
Mr Gonzalez, instead of railing at the sorry hand dealt him through bad health in the sunset of his days, decided to leave instead a legacy of service to his community by highlighting the Jubilee of St Joseph, and working tirelessly to put it on the national agenda. By sheer stubborn will, he carved a space for the place on the national calendar.
I remember him researching to fill the gaps in his knowledge, the pride in his eyes for the place he owned, radiating from him through those times.
People like Fidel Gonzalez serve as true inspiration in a time noticeably short of heroes, and I personally learnt so much from him that I can never drive through St Joseph and not see something nor fail to feel the history rolling over those hills.
I address this, in particular, to the Prime Minister and the plethora of other civic leaders present at the fruit of his efforts to consider a dedication in that same space that would serve his memory well and encourage others to see this country as home first, deserving more of our service and less of our bad habits.
A street named in his honour, a public square perhaps? It would be the right thing to do.
In these times of instant horror and lack of unrewarded public participation, I think we need to seek out these people and pay them homage for their efforts on behalf of all of us.
It is funny that I write this here, since Fidel Gonzalez was also a tireless contributor to these very pages, willing and able to pontificate on just about anything that stirred his ire.
We should do right by him.
To his family, I offer my sincerest condolences, and may he rest in peace.
Phillip Alexander
Why do I share this now? Because the hotly contested election taking place right now for St. Joseph provides us all with a wonderful opportunity to put this wrong right, because despite sending this request directly to the then Prime Minister, nothing was done, not even a reply acknowledging the request. You see, the idea then remains the same idea today, that if what we focus on grows then shouldn't we be shining the spotlight on sons and daughters of the soil who have toiled tirelessly to raise the nation? How many contributors of his ilk live and die without receiving an ounce of the recognition they deserve for the contribution that they have made?
All those who claim to know the community well or to be from St. Joseph should ask around, ask and they will learn of the selfless devotion Fidel had to his beloved St. Joseph, the days and nights spent planning holiday activities, the lighting of the Christmas tree, the slaving over the preservation of documents and landmarks.
I am sure I am not the only prolific writer who adopted the craft to emulate the likes of men like him, and the soul of the activist that burns inside me was lit from the flame from a few such as he. We need to encourage more civic minded social and political activists to choose this road, and what better way than to honor those who have carved it?
With that in mind I would like to call on each and every candidate contesting the St. Joseph election to stand in solidarity with this call and make it their own. Let us all insist that we acknowledge and honor the life and memory of Fidel Gonzalez, tireless, selfless devoted servant of St. Joseph.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am in full support of bestowing full recognition upon Fidel for his contribution to the national landscape with respect to his writing and preservation of our heritage.
ReplyDelete