Thursday, April 25, 2013
Who's Listening to What? (A Celebrity Music Review...)
In keeping with current interview trends making the rounds on social media, we asked a couple of top local celebrities - models, artists, former and current Ministers what's on their favorite song's playlist, what's jamming on their ipods, what's making it onto their latest mixed tapes or which albums do they have in heavy rotation, and while we got some of the expected answers, we also got some surprising responses:
Our first 'interviewee' former government Minister Colin Partap was eager to share with us – “Partaayyyy” he gushed “all party music” “I just love Rihanna, and I'm really digging 'I'll drink to That' right now, not sure why lol. Oh and 'Barbie Girl,' because sometimes i'm just such a Barbie Girl myself lol” - I guess that's what we get for conducting an interview outside Zen.
Housing Minster Roodal Moonilal seems to like to tear it up, and his playlist includes 'Back that Azz Up' by Juvenile, 'Push it Back' by Verseewild and 'Roll It' by Allison Hinds. - “I'm a simple man by nature” said the normally reserved and softspoken Minister - “I like to leggo. My music is anything that allows me to just rip my shirt off and wine, wine back and wine down low.” - And as grateful as we are for that image now burned into our brains, we were glad we didn't have to actually see it for ourselves.
Former Health Minister Therese Baptiste Cornelis – “Oh I don't know, I like the mellow numbers, my playlist includes songs like 'Crazy' by Patsy Cline, 'Crazy' by Seal, 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkely, 'Crazy' by Icehouse, 'Crazy' by Aerosmith, no patterns to what I listen to really, just whatever seems to resonate with me right now, you know?” - Yes, no pattern there at all.
Former PNM Government Minister Rennie Dumas - “For me it's all about old school, all about the thang, you dig it? I try to keep it simple even as I keep it real.” - So what's on his playlist? - “'Gangsta Gangsta' and 'F&^% the Police' because N.W.A. is the shizznit, 'It's On' by Eazy E, cuz sometimes you just want it mellow, and for a vibes 'Got Some Teeth' by Obie Trice, you feel me? - Yes we do, and we also feel very, very relieved that this interview was done in the full view of witnesses.
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan's play list included works by Billy Joel such as 'Piano Man' and some soca numbers like 'Get in yuh Section,' but he admitted that right now he was using his Ipod more for audio books. So what's he listening to? 'Real Estate for Dummies' mostly, that and 'How to Use Public Office for Personal Gain' by financial guru Snat Charun.
Of course some requests could not be answered immediately but we were promised we would get follow ups as soon as possible. Overnight fashion design sensation Anya Ayoung Chee said she did not listen to music on her own but compiled her playlists as part of a threesome and promised to send us some tapes to review.
Masman Brian MacFarlane said he was a little too busy to answer our request but texted - “Find out whatever Minshall listening to and say I listening to that too.” - Can't say we were surprised.
Soca Superstar Machel Montano - “Aaaaaay waz de scene........right now I listening to Benjai, Blaxx, Bunji and Superblue......de name of dis playlist iz 'Who Didn't Win' ha ha ha” - I guess like us when he listens to soca he prefers good soca over the generic stuff.
We did not get the playlist promised to us by former National Security Minister Jack Warner, but after repeated attempts at contacting him he promised to give us a tsunami of music either this Thursday or Friday, so we are waiting in eager anticipation. Opposition Leader Keith Rowley was a bit cagey in his response, but we believe that he may be waiting to see what's on Mr. Warner's list before he puts out his own. His former boss Patrick Manning called us to offer his list instead but we politely declined as we've heard that tired music before. Former Prime Minister Basdeo Panday and former Attorney General Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj also sent us their lists as well, but as those items made lists in the past we didn't see any real benefit to including them here. The current Prime Minister promised to provide her list when she gets back from her latest trip, but in the meantime directed us to acting Prime Minister Errol McLeod to see what's on his list.
All in all it was a fun exercise and we cannot wait to do this again. Stay tuned...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.