The Honorable Attorney General (or those who operate his facebook page), has used the status update function to request that those who support his recent 'handling' of the police take their support further in the form of letters to the editor because (I quote) "Let it be reflected in letters to the editors of our newspapers please. I see one in today's Express hitting out at me. Private expressions of support are not enough in politics...." (unquote)
Now, I would like to inform the good gentleman (or those who operate his facebook page) that clicking 'like' to a status update is one thing, writing a letter in support of that update is something else entirely.Why?
Because generally a letter needs a beginning, a middle and an end; It requires substance, something for the reader to sink their teeth into and something that even creative letter writers are having difficulty locating when pressed to write a positive article on the current Administration.
Why?
Because there is a marked lack of substance anywhere in the Cabinet and the Government is appearing devoid of plans on the important issues. Did the AG think the master crime plan was waiting for someone to come along and scream at the police? Did anyone tell Martin Joseph that the solution to crime lay in a good cussing?
It would appear that the AG is seeing the issue as a PR problem and it could very well be; perhaps the solution lies in the hiring of professional scribes to prepare letters of support and provide them to willing supporters to attach their names to and send them on to the Editors; many would see this as a win/win, especially a few journalists who see a Government appointment as a promotion and the flowering of their career.
I don't know.
Can reality or our opinion of a thing be affected by a letter to the Editor?
Assuming that the Attorney General is already successful at his job, would negative letters make us see him in a negative light?
I doubt. I think the real solution is in the AG ignoring letter writers altogether and focusing on the substance of his employment; Deliver tangible results that benefit the people and ignore the naysayers in my opinion.
It's a novel idea I know, but we've tried everything else, haven't we?
Being one of those serial letter writers to the Editors of the Guardian and the Express (never the Newsday, my writing is aimed at intelligent people), I must confess to withholding my support for the good gentleman recently; simply put, having 'rushed the brush' in the recent past in a glowing article celebrating his symbolic signing of the extradition papers to send Ish and Steve on their way, imagine my embarrassment as I appeared guilty of premature congratulation; despite his signature and my exceptional piece, the good gentlemen (as of today's writing) are still here.
That he has to ask and encourage supporters to write on his behalf is quite telling, and perhaps I was not the only one who got caught in my rush to support and he seems to be taking it personally.
He shouldn't.
Mr. Ramlogan needs to understand that there is a gulf of difference between opposing voices of reason and personal dislike and he should instead mine the tomes of constructive criticisms for nuggets of good advice and guidance, rather than appearing to want to nullify it altogether.He needs to put his hands on a copy of the Emperor's New Clothes.
Speaking for myself, I have no issue with this AG on a personal level as I had none with his predecessor. In fact, since his demitting of Office I have never had cause to even call his name. The same will apply to this Attorney General and his future replacements I am sure, as my reputation for impartial objectivity is important to me.
That said, and in preservation of said impartial objectivity, I have since made a decision to wait on evidence of tangible and meaningful success by this Attorney General before I go off 'half-cocked' and write in support of him again.
I am reminded of a good friend who considers himself a 'player' with the single ladies and who seems to have some success with them.
When pressed for his secret he replied "It's really very simple, it's all about perspective. If I go into a party and don't see any 'nice' girls I immediately leave, drop my standards and go back in; Works every time."
Something to think about...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.