In response to a damaging article to one of her Line Ministers (name called) and as a potentially damning indictment against her young Administration, the PM responded to calls from many of us to head the thing off by taking in front and she did just that.
Here is my deconstruction complete with my opinions, reactions, and testimonies to my own sexy brilliance.
.This issue, as I have seen it today in the SUNDAY EXPRESS, (and may I congratulate the Media for the job they do) is loaded with the complexities of both LAW and POLITICS. As you know, there is a very deliberate divide between Law and Politics. And while the two spheres sometimes mix, I daresay it should only be for positive cross-fertilisation. My comment as far as the Law is concerned is that we have before us what seems to be allegations and suggestions of unacceptable conduct involving the public purse. Let me say what I know, and don’t know:
I absolutely LOVED that, I felt that finally a sitting Prime Minister get it, deal with the people straight up, no pretense, and we'll respect you for it.
I know persons have been investigated. I know of three persons charged, but none of them are, in any way, part of my Government. That information has been in the public domain since 2006. I know that the probing of all malfeasance in public office will be energetically, but soberly and intelligently, undertaken by my Administration. I know that wherever there is proof, there will be pursuit. Wherever there is grounds for suspicion, there will be the go-ahead for inquiry. And wherever there is justiciable evidence, there will be judicial recourse.
See that? The magic power of three; the beginning, middle, and end all coming together as if to say "we watching, we knowing and we doing." By this point I had already clicked 'Share' because all the right things were being said and the people need to know.
My comment as far as the Politics is concerned, is that I wish to bring no political confusion to any investigation. Those who may wish to indulge in ‘opposition pot-stirring’ should know that many crooks have spoilt the national soup. And they should be careful that they might not be amongst them. To paraphrase a great a saying: Let he who is without stone—or for that matter, all manner of questionable building material—cast the first sin.
Wise, wise words my Leader, sage beyond eons, 'how do we kill the Evil Tree when in the heart of the earth it roots are entwined with the good?' But I digress to wax poetically. She is absolutely right here, and to mix metaphors, 'people who live in glass houses should not throw cocoa.'
If I were to look at this seriously I would see the instant comparison of Patos leaving Bas outside de Jail so he could control the then Opposition, is the PM guilty of trying a little Machiavelli here? Did she really send a thinly (translucent) veiled threat to the currently invisible Leader of the Opposition to 'leave she people alone or she go handle he properly?' Is the Leader of the Opposition under any threat or suspicion at this point? Or was the Prime Minister just trying out her new FIFA styled Kung Fu?
The DESALCOTT matters being referred to arose during the period of an administration with which I had had my concerns and problems. If I can establish any connection or continuity between that time and my time now, I will be the first one to review and revise such ties.
Here the Prime Minister is at her most candid, and is for the first time agreeing with me, because I too had some concerns with that Administration. Thank you my PM, for allowing me to wallow in my delusions of grandeur. As we're on it though, were you a practicing Attorney then? As an Officer of the Court, were you bound in any way to serving the people over those with whom you have concerns? I don't know, but if you had issues, were you not morally and ethically bound to defend the country's interest then by ventilating those issues?
I have therefore asked a number of persons to supply me with all the information they may possess on this matter, and to stand ready to answer relevant questions—my own as well as those raised legitimately elsewhere. I absolutely adored this whole statement by the PM, but I didn't like this part so much. Only because it reminded me of the then drunken Silver Fox wining back in a party asking people to 'bring de evidence' even while Brian, Ish and Steve had a van backed up by Central Bank back door and were busy looting the Treasury while everyone else was looking pretty. Not going to jump to any conclusions though, going to just keep one little eye on it just the same, so I could be ready too.
As Prime Minister charged with responsibility to all the citizens of this country, I repeat my best advice to the Nation: let the Law take its course, and let the Politics undertake its discourse.
Yuh unnerstan? cockroach doh interfere in fowl business. I hear you and I promise only to talk about things that concern we and leave other people personal business alone. If George take a bribe so Singh could live nice, we could talk about that. If George use the bribe money to pay girls to come over and help with his laundry, we not talking about that at all, at all, at all.
For those who wish this Government well, fear not. Those who seek to destroy a government, first try to distract the people.
Seriously, what really wrong with this Camini woman? She doh have a man or wha? Why she doh jess leave people alone? Iz long time ago dis bribe happen, people done forget what dey spend de money on. Anyway, all supporters, eyes front, nothing to see here.
But I can assure you that I will not be distracted from my contract with the people. It will be fully honoured, with the unflinching support of an Administration that remains steadfast in its promise to serve the people, and to do so with the highest of integrity.
Does this then mean we can expect Emmanuel George to be relieved of his Ministry, Ganga Singh to be fired, Ish & Steve to get their boarding passes?
How about footballers getting their money, Cornellis and Roberts to be sent to 'Finishing' school, cancellation of the bobol rigged laptop contract, full disclosure on Hindu Credit Union?
Will the Minister of the People stop shaming poor people to help them? Will you release CNC3 of their contract so they could stop following him around?
Madame Prime Minister, let me the first to offer you my unflinching support should your words lift the condition of all the people, and your actions match your words. Let it be known that I will be your strongest defender when you use words like integrity and mean it.
When you and I disagree, don't take it personally, like you, I serve the people.

Mr. Alexander
ReplyDeleteThe PM’s statement was perfectly good and funny before you analyzed it. Did you conspire with Epsom to do your dissection? It does look suspiciously like a joint venture. I haven’t been reading your work long enough to know that you also use “the language”. In all seriousness though, a great, hilarious, intoxicating piece. But sexy? Still looking.
Have been known to use my share of the dialect at times. Sometimes we have to laugh at this thing, and you couldn't make it up from scratch if you tried.
ReplyDelete